Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Mobile?!

Reminder of the chain of events...lots of paper work...phone call...making LOTs of frantic calls/emails/Facebook posts...hold Benjamin...realize that we need "stuff"...register...grateful to friends and family..."a mobile?" (now you are up to date).

To get a Mobile or not...that was the question. We fielded several inquiries before finally giving in. After some thought and identifying the "right one" we bought it. (Disclosure: The 'right' one was a combination of color, gift card availability and...apathy.) We struggled...Initially I thought to myself...is it possible that this little musical device (which based on the unsolicited testimonies, was comparable only to the invention of skittles) could keep Benj asleep, happy and asleep (still)?!

To our surprise (and disappointment) when the mobile first played...it was quite short-lived. The musical content not bad, the most typical baby song...BUT it only lasts for about 15 seconds and at a decibel level that rivals the most verbose car alarm. [NOTE to the Manufacture: Ben, and I would imagine MOST babies, do NOT fall asleep in 15 seconds...In fact that has the potential to be the duration of the cry in his first breath...So unless you intend for the doting parents to come in to turn that little knob every breath our cherub takes; may I suggest a longer playing song AND a lower more soothing sound.]
That said, we don't use this miracle sleep-inducing device...but there it sits above his crib. So I began to wonder...if I were a little boy who was laying in my crib...how would a mobile look...



Now many of you might think...'Ohhh monkeys, how precious. That is just so cute!' Part of me agrees with you. My initial thought says, 'adorable'.


However the more I think of being serenaded to sleep by monkeys flying over my head......I think back to the 1939 classic.




Creepy. Right?! (Don't blame me...Talk to the 'creative and thoughtful' staff at Baby's R Us.)
Perhaps the idea of Mobiles should remain under careful discernment.

No comments: