Monday, May 10, 2010

'Happy' Mother's Day...

Dear Mom.
Happy Mother's Day!
This being my first Mother's Day, I am not sure what I should do or what you were hoping for, as it is also a first for you. That said, Dad and I worked real hard at our little project. And even though it didn't turn out like the fantastic marketing campaign said it would...it is given with love. This was supposed to be a 3D cast of my foot print. Why? I have no idea, but apparently Mom's like those sort of things. (Couldn't you just look at my foot? Do you really need a plaster mold of it...?) Anyway, this particular work of art was made from great intentions although it did not turn out as originally depicted.

As you know Mom, I caught a cold. It sure was a doozie. In fact, Dad spent most of Friday planning this project and waiting for me to actually fall asleep so that I could do my part. [He thought I would be more cooperative if I was asleep...boy was he wrong:) ] Following the directions word for word, he laid out all the pieces and needed items for a successful journey down Adorable-Crafting Lane. He had spent the morning cleaning the kitchen counter in preparation for this production. According to the directions, Dad was to hold my foot in the mold for 1 minute while it hardened... It was a good thing that the direction also said that for infants it would be best to have them asleep when you put their foot in the mold...duh. [SIDE NOTE: One minute is a LONG TIME! I realize that for most events in life 60 seconds is simply a quick and fleeting moment...That said, In this instance 60 seconds, 1 'tiny' minute is FOREVER.]

The Mix was mixed, the mold ready...And now to take the sleeping and peaceful cherub (Me) and gently place my foot in the plaster. . .
(seemed easy)

Upon my foot touching the gelatinous heart shaped mold...I was startled from my sleep. As any young man would, I kicked forward with much force and sent the mold and the surrounding contents across the kitchen peninsula and onto the floor. Startled from my slumber, I cried out and immediately curled up my feet getting the plaster all over my legs and clothes. Dad, a little frantic and wondering if this heart-felt idea was worth it, got me cleaned up in record time. Since the '60 seconds' clock had been started, he managed to get me cleaned. He then picked up the remains of the mold, stuck my 'pleasant and highly willing' (sarcasm noted) foot back into the plaster and then held it there while it hardened enough to dry in that position...All while the clock ticked on...and I sounded the 'I'm not happy' alarm.

So, Mom, when you received this precious gift from me, your precious son...Don't forget that this 'treasure' came from the heart, and the intentions were meant to flood you with warmth and love...(perhaps you could tell you friends it was intended to be abstract...What a gifted artist you adopted?! :) Just think of this as the first of many 'treasures' that I will bring you.

Happy Mother's Day! (Sorry I shared my cold and we spent the entire day sleeping and snotting on each other...but just think...this year you get to celebrate Mother's Day...with Me)
Love,
Benjamin



SIDE NOTE:
Another gift for Mother's Day was from our dear friends who made a compilation of pictures of Ben's first 3 months. Put them together and framed them. (Already hanging up in his room).

2 comments:

Buki Family said...

i like all the stories and new photos! Liam likes it too!

Unknown said...

That is freakin' hysterical! Best intentions duely noted, I'm sure. Sorry I'm late in reading... loving this blog journey. Keep it up!!